Learn Sea Kayaking or Stand-Up Paddle boarding with a dedicated instructor. Come solo or save money by bringing up to 4 people. Sessions are 1.5 hours.
Kayak Basics 1-2-3 Classes
- Basics Lesson 2.5 hours
- Basics 3 Pack 7.5 hours
Learn How To Sea Kayak, Then Explore Exciting Waters of New York City!
To join our regular community and explore waters near and far, use a sea kayak. Learn outfitting, launching, landing and basic strokes. Discover how to harness the power of your whole body while tracking in a straight line, which is essential for enjoying open water! The sea kayak has an enclosed cockpit to keep your torso and legs dry from splash. For safety, we teach how to re-enter the kayak after capsizing and build situational awareness on open water. We teach every class according to American Canoe Association standards.
Kayak Basics 1: Learn to outfit yourself. Discover essential sea kayaking strokes. 2.5 hours.
Kayak Basics 2: Refine your steering. Learn to self-rescue, a safety essential. 2.5 hours.
Kayak Basics 3: Learn about water safety. Paddle out to scenic lively waters. 2.5 hours.
- Ages 15+
- Maximum body weight is 225 lb
- No swimming experience needed
- Must be able to do 10 push-ups and 10 squats
- We recommend one class per week. Many peoples’ energy levels wane after one class. People who’re in great shape or have paddled before may endure two classes
- Those who drop out within 72 hours of the start time cannot have their class credit reissued. Full price must be payed for another class!
What To Bring
- Shoes that can get wet
- Quick-dry athletic clothes
- Change of clothes for after
- Your own lock for the lockers
- Water bottle and energy snack
- Sea kayak, life jacket, paddle, and instructor
- Restrooms, lockers, outdoor shower, changing rooms, water bottle refiller