We examine the marine forecast before every river tour. We teach novices to understand this in Basics 1-2-3 Classes and River Navigation Classes for sea kayaking and stand-up paddle boarding. Intermediate-Expert paddlers master them through real experiences!
- Currents and Moon: Go at Slack for short trips or ride the Ebb south and Flood north. Full and new moon cause stronger currents.
- Wind and Gusts: Know your wind tolerance. Novices avoid 15+ mph sustained wind and 20+ mph gusts. Watch for white caps.
- Air Temp: Prep hydration and insulation. Above 90F, pack water with electrolytes and take dips. Below 70F and near sunset, have layers on-hand.
- Water Temp: Dress for immersion. From 50-60F, wear a drysuit, semi-drysuit or wetsuit. Under 50F, paddle with a buddy and wear a drysuit.
- Rain and Thunder: Avoid thunder and lightning within 10 miles. Closely watch the real movement and changes in weather systems.
TIDES at the Battery
High tide is blue / Low tide is red
SURFACE CURRENTS at Boathouse
|Tide at Battery||Knots at Pier 84|
SURFACE CURRENTS next 24 hours
Play the live simulation
Tidal currents are strongest near full and new moon. Know why.
WIND & GUST forecast at Boathouse
WIND GUSTS: 9 day forecast
RADAR: 9 day forecast
We recommend the Pro version of THIS RADAR 👈