We examine these factors before trips. We teach novices to understand them in Basics 4. Trained paddlers learn about them through real experiences.
- Surface Currents, Moon, Sun: Go at Slack for short trips or ride the Ebb south and Flood north. Full and new moon cause stronger currents. Bring lights near sunset.
- Wind and Gusts: Know your wind tolerance. Novice kayakers and most SUPers avoid 15+ mph sustained wind and 20+ mph gusts. Watch for white caps.
- Air Temp: Prep hydration and insulation. Above 90F, drink water with electrolytes and take dips. Below 70F and near sunset, have layers on-hand.
- Water Temp: Dress for immersion. From 50-60F, wear a drysuit or wetsuit. Under 50F, paddle with a buddy and wear special gear.
- Rain, Thunder, Radar: Avoid thunder and lightning within 10 miles. Closely watch the real-time movement of weather systems for changes in direction.
TIDES at the Battery
High tide is blue / Low tide is red
SURFACE CURRENTS at Boathouse
|Tide at Battery||Knots at Pier 84|