We examine these factors before trips. We teach novices to understand them in Basics 4. Trained paddlers learn about them through real experiences.
- Currents and Moon: Go at Slack for short trips or ride the Ebb south and Flood north. Full and new moon cause stronger currents.
- Wind and Gusts: Know your wind tolerance. Novices avoid 15+ mph sustained wind and 20+ mph gusts. Watch for white caps.
- Air Temp: Prep hydration and insulation. Above 90F, pack water with electrolytes and take dips. Below 70F and near sunset, have layers on-hand.
- Water Temp: Dress for immersion. From 50-60F, wear a drysuit or wetsuit. Under 50F, paddle with a buddy and wear a drysuit.
- Rain and Thunder: Avoid thunder and lightning within 10 miles. Closely watch the real movement and changes in weather systems.
TIDES at the Battery
High tide is blue / Low tide is red
SURFACE CURRENTS at Boathouse
|Tide at Battery||Knots at Pier 84|
MOON AND SUN
WIND & GUST forecast at Boathouse
WIND GUST forecast for next 9 days
RAIN & THUNDER forecast for next 9 days
RADAR observed in past 6 hours
Watch LIVE RADAR 👈
SURFACE CURRENTS forecast for next 24 hours
Play the live simulation