Know Before You Go
Before getting on the water, we examine this page. We teach novice paddlers to understand these variables in Basics 4. Trained paddlers learn about these variables through real life experience.
- Surface Currents, Moon, Sun: Go at Slack for short trips or ride the Ebb south and Flood north. Full and new moon cause stronger currents. Bring lights near sunset.
- Wind and Gusts: Know your wind tolerance. Novice kayakers and most SUPers avoid 15+ mph sustained wind and 20+ mph gusts. Watch for white caps.
- Air Temp: Prep hydration and insulation. Above 90F, drink water with electrolytes and take dips. Below 70F and near sunset, have layers on-hand.
- Water Temp: Dress for immersion. From 50-60F, wear a drysuit or wetsuit. Under 50F, paddle with a buddy and wear special gear.
- Rain, Thunder, Radar: Avoid thunder and lightning within 10 miles. Closely watch the real-time movement of weather systems for changes in direction.
TIDES at the Battery
HIGH tide is blue / LOW tide is red
SURFACE CURRENTS at Boathouse
|Tide at Battery||Knots at Pier 84|