Paddle and explore the history of Midtown Manhattan, Hell’s Kitchen, and Chelsea.
Downtown History Tour
- On-land presentation
- Person on our kayaks
- Person on our SUPs
- Your own kayak or SUP For boathouse storage owners only
Paddle and Explore the History of Downtown Manhattan
Discover lost eras of Lower Manhattan from Native American settlements to the oldest surviving pier in NYC. We start with an hour presentation at the Pier 84 Boathouse Classroom that’s free to the public. Then, Advanced-Expert paddlers hit the water with a guide and paddle downtown to Pier A and back. Float and explore the history of the West Village, TriBeCa, and the Battery. There will be snack time on the water and no stops on land. We cover 9 miles round trip.
- First hour is a free slideshow presentation open to the public
- The on-water tour is at an Advanced level. Before booking, complete 4 Intermediate tours this season or get pre-screened. Each season, start with shorter tours and work up to longer tours.
What To Bring
- Your own lock for the lockers
- Dry bag with water bottle and snacks
- Quick dry clothes suitable for the day and extras for after
- 1 hour presentation on land and 3 hour optional paddle trip
- Touring kayak or paddle board, lifejacket, paddle, and tour guide
- Restrooms, lockers, outdoor shower, changing rooms